The U.S. Embassy’s Office of Public Affairs in Islamabad offers a wealth of information on all facets of life in the U.S., and also provides a forum for U.S.-Pakistani cultural exchanges. The Information Resource Center (IRC) has extensive information on a variety of topics, including current and historical events and educational opportunities in the United States.
The U.S. Consulate General in Karachi is seeking an individual for the position of Information Resource Center Assistant in the Public Affairs Section.
Basic Function of Position:
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Public Affairs Officer (PAO), the incumbent is responsible for the management and overall operations of the existing and planned Lincoln Corners within the Karachi Consular District. Lincoln Corners are small, public libraries and community spaces where visitors can learn more about American culture and education. Incumbent assists with development of the new Lincoln Corners in Sindh and Balochistan provinces, and provides on-going training, guidance, and support to the coordinators and partner leads once the spaces are operational. Incumbent assists in the planning of PAS-generated Lincoln Corner programming and ensures that all corners meet mandated standards of programming, management, and physical appearance. Incumbent prepares annual budget and supports funding request; responds to research requests; develops innovative outreach and marketing strategies; and provides technical support as needed.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available in the Human Resources Office.
1. Education: Completion of university, with a degree (16 years of education) in social sciences, library, information science, international relations, education, public relations or English, is required.
2. Experience: Five years of professional experience in libraries, project management, or multi-site operations management is required. The required experience should include increasing levels of responsibility, including supervision of staff for at least three years.
3. Language: Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English and Urdu are required. Language skills will be tested.
4. Knowledge: Incumbent must have a good knowledge of the information sector in Pakistan, including libraries, education, technology and media. Knowledge of strategic planning and program management, and a strong customer service orientation are required. Knowledge of complex, cross-cultural negotiation and management strategies with high level Americans and Pakistanis is required.
5. Abilities & Skills: Incumbent must have exceptional interpersonal skills. Ability to develop and maintain contacts among high level internal and external contacts including partner institutions (e.g., university vice chancellors, ministers) is required. Also required is the ability to manage complex multi-site, multi-function operations, and the ability to guide, train, and evaluate the performance of the Lincoln Corner Coordinators. Incumbent must have solid computer skills, including MS Word and Excel. Outstanding oral and written communication skills for correspondence and reporting are required. This may be tested.
Note: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria:
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
6. Current employees who have voluntarily been reassigned/promoted from one position to another are not eligible to apply for six months from the effective date of the reassignment/promotion.
7. Current employees who have received any job-related training are not eligible to apply in another section/agency for six months from the effective date of the training.
8. U.S. Mission Pakistan will not bear any travel expenses for testing, interviews, pre-employment clearances (if selected) or relocation for joining.
To Apply: Interested candidates for this position must submit their completed DS-174 (Application for Employment) or a current resume or curriculum vita that provides the same information found on the DS-174 (see Appendix B) by Email at:[email protected]. The Vacancy Announcement Number must be mentioned in the subject line of the email. Applicants are encouraged to submit the DS-174. However, applicants who submit both a DS-174 and a resume will not be considered.
Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional U.S. Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
Incomplete applications or submissions received after the closing date will not be considered. Please do not attach any documents at this stage; you will be informed when your documents are required. Only those candidates meeting all the requirements will be contacted for a test/interview. To review all advertised positions, please visit Embassy Website:http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/employment_opportunities.html.